Hope you don’t mind, but I’m quoting part of your Read More…
”idk if i’m wording this right, but i also get this really uncomfortable, erotic vibe in the beating down of these women (abaddon’s death scene comes to mind), like the writers are getting a power rush off being able to kill women in all of its grotesqueness and glory.”
It’s funny you say that, and mention Abaddon specifically, because Alaina Huffman said pretty much the same thing you did at Vancon. [x]
"[Huffman] seemed kind of uncomfortable with the amount of violence and misogyny directed at her character, saying that it felt like ‘the writers were treating me as their personal therapy by putting me through all this stuff… They stabbed me, cut my head off, shot me, called me all these dirty names"…
She also talked about how she remembered feeling really discomfited by the guns and being shot in the face and stabbed in her first episode, and saying “can you do that?” about what her character went through, at least once.
Apparently they told her that ‘oh yeah, it’s okay, because she’s a monster’.”
Now, think about all the evil women/monsters on the show. Think of how they died, what violence was done to them (usually by the heroes).
- Remember Meg, being stripped naked, tortured, and raped with a knife. Remember her being killed off-handedly by her abuser.
- Remember Ruby, being stripped naked and tortured.
- Remember Abaddon, being tied up and tortured, having her hands cut off so she couldn’t fight back. Being set on fire. Remember her barely fighting back as Dean savagely stabbed her to death.
- Remember Hael, lying broken and battered and helpless, glass shards in her head, being stabbed by Cas
- Remember the Nephilim, who didn’t do shit to anyone but whom they made Cas kill anyway, and rip out her heart
- Remember Anna, who wasn’t even evil, just brainwashed and tortured, burned alive by Michael
- Remember Lilith, who actually wanted Sam to kill her bloody
- Remember the female-vesseled Raphael, who exploded in a bloody mess
Now, think of their male counterparts. Were any of them subjected to the same lurid, prolonged deaths scenes? Were any of them stripped naked and tortured? How many died bloody? How many were killed with excessive force? Or were their deaths usually quick and with little blood? How did the Big Bad Men die?
- Azazel, who killed Mary and Jess and John, shot once in the head
- Alastair, who tortured (including implied rape) Dean for decades, is killed by Sam’s mind in a mostly bloodless fashion
- Uriel was quickly killed with one stab
- Bartholomew was stabbed once, quickly
- The angel of Douchebags, Zachariah, stabbed once in the face
- Dick Roman is stabbed once in the neck, before exploding in black goo
- Raphael’s male vessel was turned into salt
- Crowley…oh, he’s still alive for some fucking reason, he’s like the Winchesters uncle according to the writers
Even Cas’s death in 7x02, while on the gory side, was still kinda beautiful to look at. It was not grotesque and vulgar, like so many of the female monster deaths are.
Female monsters are tortured, stripped, raped, viciously and bloodily killed. Male monsters are quickly put down, not tortured nearly so often and never tortured naked, and often die pretty bloodless deaths.